Thursday, November 5, 2009

word 21….lentiginous

A.Word.A.Day

with Anu Garg

lentiginous

PRONUNCIATION:

(len-TIJ-uh-nuhs)

MEANING:

adjective: Covered with freckles.

ETYMOLOGY:

From Latin lentiginosus (freckled), from lentigo (freckle), from lens (lentil).

USAGE:

"I realised that my freckly Celtic complexion wasn't a curse I had to endure for life, and my offensively lentiginous skin could be smoothed into picture-perfect ivory."
Simon Price; Cover-up, Powder and Eyeliner; The Guardian (London, UK); Dec 14, 2002.
Explore "lentiginous" in the Visual Thesaurus.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:

I have ever hated all nations, professions, and communities, and all my love is toward individuals. -Jonathan Swift, satirist (1667-1745)

This newsletter is supported in part by these sponsors:
Great Scott! Orijinz is the game that's hot
Fun that hits the spot. Only $14.95 for the whole lot. Give it a shot!

How to sponsor?

Unsubscribe | Subscribe | Update address | Gift subscription | Contact us

No comments:

Post a Comment